October 18, 2008

24th Birthday

Admiring the majesty of Nevado Taulliraju in the Cordillera Blanca. Santa Cruz to Llanganuco trek.


------


12 years ago, en route to Jomsom in the Himalayas with my family, I gasped painfully for air in the high altitude chill of the Annapurna Range. It was my first taste of altitude.

6 years ago, as I looked out across Yosemite Valley in California, I ran out of breath... not from the altitude, but from the sheer beauty of the divine sight in front of me.

2 years ago, I started dreaming of Perú and the Andes.

A year ago, I bought a bicycle - I had never toured before, but decided that I would visit the Andes with my bicycle.

Today, I´m more inspired than ever because as each day unfolds, I feel more and more humbled by the score of amazing people and places I come into contact with.

It means absolutely nothing to be 24 years old, but I am sure it means something to feel that I am exactly where I need to be.

Here.

Now.

-----

I want to thank everyone who has supported me through the past year with encouraging words, helpful advice, inspiring emails, and helpful pats on the back.

For my 24th birthday, please do not send any gifts. What little gear I carry with me in the back of my bicycle trailer is all I need to freely experience the infinite beauty of our world.

Funds however, are dwindling, and any monetary help goes a long way in helping me realize my dreams. Please consider contributing in whatever way you can by visiting the secure donation page on my website.

Here´s to sending everyone out there a giant hug and plenty of good vibes from the Peruvian Andes!

Namaste,
Japhy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff its so inspiring, i know you are carrying nepal’s flag but in nepal nobody knows about you. I am really proud of you that you did something for nepal even you are outside of country. Its priceless.

happy birthday!

with all my good wishes.
archana

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to you dear Carlo, on the new heights you have gained on your 24th birthday. Keep your courage and mission at the higest gear.... and I know you can do any challenges..

Good luck and best wishes....Dad

Unknown said...

You're my hero!! I hope you are well and that the trip continues to be a great one!
Christina

Stephen Le said...

Hey Jeff, amazing stuff. Very inspiring to read your accounts. I'm sure many of your readers are feeling a twinge of envy - as I do! Good luck on your travels~

Stephen Le
(in Hanoi)